Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

April 25, 2011



Sam has been eating all different kinds of baby food.  I decided to try to make some  on my own.  It was very easy and they taste good (except the bananas, I've never liked them, and they are pretty gross as baby food). 

Here's what I did:

I bought 1 lb of fresh carrots.  I peeled them and chopped them up.  Then, I cooked them for about 15 minutes, until they were soft.  Then I put them all in the food processor.  It took less than one minute in the food processor for the carrots to become baby food!  It made 7 jars of food and cost 79 cents.

I bought 2 bananas.  You don't need to cook the bananas, just cut them up and then mash them with a potato masher or wisk.  This is gross, especcially if you don't like bananas like me. :)  This made 4 jars of food and cost 45 cents.

I bought one avocado.  You don't cook this either.  Just peel it and take the pit out and mash with a potato masher or wisk.  Pretend you are making guacamole, but without the chips, tomatoes, garlic, etc, etc. :)  One avocado made 4 jars of baby food and cost 1 dollar.  (By the way, my pediatrician recommends avocado as a good first food for babies.  It's rich in vitamins and nutrients, and also high in fat.)

I bought 3 pears.  First, I peeled the chopped up the pears.  I cooked them for about 5 minutes until they were soft, I didn't add water since they are so juicy.  Once they were soft, I put them all in the food processor.  Less than one minute in the food processor, and the pears are done!  This made 5 jars and cost $2.25. (The pears were my favorite.  I've tried them from a jar - and they are good.  But these homemade ones were much better. Yum!)

20 jars of baby food for $4.49.  Those should last a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment