Blog Archive

Sunday, March 2, 2014

March is Reading Month: Favorite "Big Kid's" Books:

Yesterday I posted some of our favorite children's books for ages 0-3, in case you missed it, click here.  Before I move on to regular scheduled posts full of cute photos of the boys, I can't ignore my favorite bigger kids books.  (I am however ignoring my favorite books for kids between the ages of 4 and 10... sorry, we don't have time for everything.)

My Favorite Big Kid Books:


Wonder
This is my all-time favorite big kid book.  It's good for ages 10 and up.  Every person should read it (adults included).  It is a story about a boy with facial deformities and his experience with friends, family, school, and growing up. It has a strong message of kindness and is a story that will stick with you for a long time. Read it, you won't regret it.


The One and Only Ivan
Another book that will stick with you for a long time.  A story told from the perspective of a gorilla.  It's about friendship and hope. A quick read for ages 8 and up (adults, too!)


Divergent
A dystopian novel for young adults (or grown adults).  Set in the future, the population of United States is now split into different groups depending on your strengths and families.  This follows the story of a girl who questions the system.  This is the first book in the trilogy.  Also, it's becoming a movie soon - read the book first!


The Fault in our Stars
Another one that is becoming a movie soon, get reading, quick!  This is a young adult realistic fiction romance type book.


Eleanor and Park
I read this book in one day, I couldn't put it down.  Another young adult realistic fiction romance type book. Easy to read and likable characters.


The Hunger Games
In case you haven't read this trilogy, you should.  Another dystopian novel intended for young adults.



Harry Potter Series
If you aren't a Harry Potter fan (I can't believe we're friends if you aren't a Harry Potter fan, but anyways...) you should give him another try. The books get better and better, with my personal favorite being Year 6: The Half-Blood Prince. The first books are probably good for 3rd/4th graders and up, but they do get darker and more intense as the series goes on.

Sam says, "Happy Reading!"




No comments:

Post a Comment